ELP's National Fellowship Program offers intensive leadership and skills training, national networking opportunities, and time for personal and professional reflection. Through immersive retreats, our curriculum helps emerging leaders hone their leadership styles, improve their strategy and organizational development, and strengthen their outreach to diverse constituencies. With the assistance of professional coaching and peer learning, each Fellow develops a Personal Leadership Plan.
All Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Work or reside in the United States
- Have a minimum of three years work experience or are enrolled in graduate-level academic studies
- Have demonstrated leadership capacity
- Articulate how their work fits connect to social and environmental change
In addition, ELP looks for applicants that demonstrate:
- Willingness to actively contribute to the program as well as take advantage of its benefits
- Commitment to the values of diversity and justice within the environmental and social change fields
- The desire to remain an active member of ELP's Senior Fellows Network
Applicants will be evaluated on the basis of leadership potential, the nature of their work or area of expertise; ability to convey a coherent vision for environmental progress, ability to reach diverse constituencies and work across backgrounds. Additionally, applicants will be evaluated on their ability to clearly articulate how participating in this leadership program will further their personal and professional development. Particular attention will be given to the applicant's accomplishments, background, and professional progress as shown in their resume and the clarity, breadth, and thoughtfulness of responses to the narrative question in the application
DATES for 2019 Program
October 9th-13th, 2019, in Omena, Michigan (Private Home)
Jan. 29 - Feb. 2, 2020, in Sonoma, California (Westerbeke Ranch)
The National Fellowship participation fee is $3,500. This includes:
- Room and board for the 2 overnight retreats
- 10 days of training and community building
- 4 hours of professional coaching
- Access to our network of nearly 1000 Senior Fellows
- Membership to ELP's lifelong learning community
The National Fellowship Program participation fee is $3,500*. A few needs based scholarships will be available and can be applied for in your application. Fellows may choose to pay their tuition in full at the time of being selected or through a payment schedule. Transportation to and from retreats is not included in the tuition and is the responsibility of each Fellow. To learn more about creative payment options click HERE.
The application deadline for the 2019 National Fellowship Program: July 15, 2019
To apply for the National Fellowship Program, applicants must:
1. Complete an Application (a very short online questionnaire including contact information and demographics)
2. Follow the instructions to submit a resume and the following essay. What is the most significant leadership challenge that you are personally facing, either current or something that you see on the horizon? (500 words maximum)
INTERVIEW AND SELECTION PROCESS OVERVIEW
Applications are reviewed by a selection team of ELP Senior Fellows (alumni of ELP fellowships) and staff.
Interviews: A subset of applicants are interviewed in the 10 days following the application deadline. Interviews are conducted over the phone and are approximately 25 minutes long. Interviews are also an opportunity for applicants to ask any questions about the program and the Senior Fellow community.
Selection process: Our selection teams review the applicant's accomplishments, background, and professional progress as shown in their resume. We also focus on the clarity, breadth, and thoughtfulness of responses to the narrative question in the application and the phone interview. We aim to select the best cohort for each program - which means giving attention to the diversity and balance of the class - in terms of work (sector, issue), identities (gender, ethnicity, etc.) and personalities.
Notification: Following the selection of the class (usually 2 weeks following the application deadline), applicants are notified of their status via a phone call and/or email. An applicant is either invited into the program (in which case they are expected to confirm within 48 hours), wait-listed, or invited to apply for another program.