All Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Work or reside in OR, WA, AK, ID
- Have at least three years of work experience or post-undergraduate academic studies related to environmental or social change issues, broadly defined
- Have demonstrated leadership capacity
- Articulate how his/her work fits into social and environmental issues
In addition, ELP looks for applicants that demonstrate:
- Passion and capacity to exercise leadership and respond to social and environmental challenges
- Willingness to actively contribute to the program as well as take advantage of its benefits
- Commitment to the values of diversity and justice within the environmental and social change fields
- The ability and desire to remain an active member of the ELP Senior Fellows Network after the conclusion of the year-long Fellowship
- Eagerness to connect with and learn from others
Applicants will be evaluated on the basis of leadership potential, the nature of their work or area of expertise; ability to convey a coherent vision for environmental progress, ability to reach diverse constituencies and work across backgrounds. Additionally, applicants will be evaluated on their ability to clearly articulate how participating in this leadership program will further their personal and professional development.
Particular attention will be given to the applicant's accomplishments, background, and professional progress as shown in their resume and the clarity, breadth, and thoughtfulness of responses to the narrative question in the application.
All retreats will be held at Whidbey Institute in Clinton, WA
August 22--25, 2019
November 14-17, 2019
February 20-23, 2020
The Pacific Northwest Regional Network participation fee is $1800*. A few needs based scholarships will be available and can be applied for in your application. Fellows may choose to pay their tuition in full at the time of being selected or through a payment schedule.
Room and board for the 3 overnight retreats
Participation in 12 days of training and community building
A 360 degree leadership assessment
Access to our network of over 1200 Senior Fellows
Membership to ELP's lifelong learning community
Transportation to and from retreats is not included in the tuition and is the responsibility of each Fellow.
*We are able to offer a subsidized rate from the $3,500 full program cost thanks to the support from our foundation partners and local donors.
May 20, 2019
To apply for the Fellowship Program, applicants must:
1. Complete an Application (this links to a very short online questionnaire including contact information and demographics)
2. Follow the instructions on linked application to submit a resume and the following essay: What is the most significant leadership challenge that you are personally facing, either current or something that you see on the horizon? (500 words maximum)
INTERVIEW AND SELECTION PROCESS OVERVIEW
Applications are reviewed by a selection team of ELP Senior Fellows (alumni of ELP fellowships) and staff.
Interviews: a subset of applicants are interviewed in the 10 days following the application deadline. Interviews are conducted over the phone and are approximately 25 minutes long. Interviews are also an opportunity for applicants to ask any questions about the program and the Senior Fellow community.
Selection process: Our selection teams review the applicant's accomplishments, background, and professional progress as shown in their resume. We also focus on the clarity, breadth, and thoughtfulness of responses to the narrative question in the application and the phone interview. We aim to select the best cohort for each program - which means giving attention to the diversity and balance of the class - in terms of work (sector, issue), identities (gender, ethnicity, etc.) and personalities.
Notification: Following the selection of the class (usually 2 weeks following the application deadline), applicants are notified of their status via a phone call and/or email. An applicant is either invited into the program (in which case they are expected to confirm within 48 hours), wait-listed, or invited to apply for another program.